Colégio Médico de Goa
Seal of Goa Medical College
|Latin: Goa Medical College|
|Motto||Satyam Shivam Sundaram|
Motto in English
|Truth is Eternal and Beautiful|
|Type||Health Services, Medical Education and Research Institution|
|Established||1691 (Portuguese Goa)|
|Dean||Dr. Pradeep G. Naik|
|Postgraduates||31 (MD students)|
13 (MS students)
30 (Diploma students)
|Location||Bambolim, Goa, India|
|Campus||Urban 1,134,798 m2|
Goa Medical College (GMC) is a government medical college and hospital in Goa, India. It is one of the oldest medical colleges in Asia.
It is currently an organic institution of the Goa University (GU), being its oldest unit.
Since the last decades of the sixteenth century Goa was known as the "cemetery of the Portuguese", in the expression of the Viceroy Francisco de Távora, 1st Count of Alvor. The unhealthiness of the Old City was manifest, given the density of the population, which was accompanied by a lack of hygiene and medical care. Until then, doctors in Goa were rare.
The course of medical education in Goa, therefore, began in 1691, when the "chief physicist" (a name given to doctors appointed as head of public health of a given territory) Manoel Roiz de Sousa began a "Medicine Class of Nova Goa", coming from the request made by the Vice-King of India Rodrigo da Costa, functioning intermittently in the eighteenth century; in 1801, the Portuguese crown decided to establish the "Medicine and Surgery Class", to the care of the chief physicist António José de Miranda e Almeida, graduated in Coimbra. This course worked until 1815, when the doctor left Goa.
However, it was only on November 5, 1842 that the "Medical-Surgical School of Goa" gave its definitive start. The institution remained in operation even after 11 December 1851, when, through a ministerial report and annexed decree, the colonial government extinguished some medical schools surviving only that of Goa. During that period, it produced some 1,327 doctors and 469 pharmacists.[self-published source]
In 1986, it became under the administration of the Goa University (GU), changing the denomination history "Medical-Surgical School" to "Medical College".
Originally located in Panjim, in a structure of Portuguese origin, it was transferred to Alto-Bambolim in 1993, being part of the medical-hospital teaching complex of GU.
The Institute of Psychiatry and Human Behaviour (Bambolim), the T.B. Cunha and Chest disease hospital (St. Inez), the Rural Health and Training Centre (Mandur) and the Urban Health Centre (St. Cruz) form parts of the Establishment. The college is affiliated to the Goa University and offers the MBBS course alongside several MS and MD courses. Some courses with some super-specializations are also awarded.
Goa Medical College (GMC) and Goa Dental College are located opposite each other on the highway connecting Goa's capital Panjim with its commercial capital, Margao. A pedestrian subway has been constructed to connect both institutes.
The current acting Dean of Goa Medical College is Dr. Pradeep Naik, an ophthalmologist.
The total intake is 150 for the MBBS course. Of this, 85% is filled by Goan students or having Goan reaidency. The rest 15% through All-India Quota, open to any citizen of India, and is filled through the NEET.
It has an intake of 86 seats for PG courses in which 50% is by All India Quota.
M.B.B.S. - extending for at least a period of 4 1/2 years followed by 1 year of compulsory rotational internship.
M.Ch Neuro Surgery (Approved by MCI, yet to be rerecognized)
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)