Browse the Outline of Engineering below. View Videos
or join the discussion
on this topic. Add Outline of Engineering
to your Like2do.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Outline of Engineering
The following outline is provided as an overview of and topical guide to engineering:
Engineering is the discipline and profession that applies scientific theories, mathematical methods, and empirical evidence to design, create, and analyze technological solutions cognizant of safety, human factors, physical laws, regulations, practicality, and cost.
Branches of Engineering
- Aerospace engineering – branch of engineering behind the design, construction and science of aircraft and spacecraft. It is broken into two major and overlapping branches:
- Applied engineering – application of management, design, and technical skills for the design and integration of systems, the execution of new product designs, the improvement of manufacturing processes, and the management and direction of physical and/or technical functions of a firm or organization.
- Biological engineering
- Civil engineering
- Chemical engineering (outline)
- Computer Science
- Electrical engineering (outline)
- Engineering physics
- Financial engineering
- Fire protection engineering
- Industrial engineering – (includes manufacturing and production engineering)
- Information engineering
- Materials Engineering
- Mechanical engineering
- Military engineering
- Nuclear Engineering
- Offshore engineering
- Optical engineering
- Petroleum engineering
- Planetary engineering / Climate engineering (Geoengineering) – planetary engineering is the application of technology for the purpose of influencing the global properties of a planet. The goal of this theoretical task is usually to make other worlds habitable for life. Perhaps the best-known type of planetary engineering is terraforming, by which a planet's surface conditions are altered to be more like those of Earth.
- Software engineering
- Systems engineering – analysis, design, and control of engineering systems. It focuses on the science and technology of industrial systems. It emphasizes the analysis and design of systems to produce goods and services efficiently.
- Textile engineering – application of scientific and engineering principles to the design and control of all aspects of fiber, textile, and apparel processes, products, and machinery. These include natural and man-made materials, interaction of materials with machines, safety and health, energy conservation, and waste and pollution control.
History of Engineering
History of engineering
Engineering education and certification
Persons influential in the field of engineering